Skip to main content

Inglot 02M Breathable Nail Polish - A Muslimah's Quandary!




Salaam, Ramadan Mubarak and Hello to all you beautiful people!

Hope everyone's having a fab summer!
We have been blessed with a beautiful summer finally and yes, for some of us who are practicing Muslim's it's also a very special month due to the fact that its Ramadan where we fast from dawn till dusk and it's the month of forgiveness, charity, and reflection...

On that note I know that I've been absent from blogging for a while now and as my last blog post explained this is due to my 16yr old having gone through major stomach surgery :( for more details Click here Thankfully he is doing much better now but I do still feel like I've let my followers down by not posting for such a long time....

So here we go! Today's post is all about the now infamous Inglot 02 Breathable nail polish.
This is quite a controversial nail polish in Muslim circles and there may be some who disagree with my review.


Inglot Summer Collection 02M Nail Enamel £11.00


Shades 670 & 665 Summer Collection 02M breathable nail polish


For the last few month's I have been requested to do a review on this particular nail polish by so many and now thank's to my lovely mate Ameena (who very generously presented me with 2 bottles for Eid) I've finally got no excuse not to do the review. 

Just be clear on certain points before I talk in more detail about this particular nail polish.

  • I have no scientific knowledge or expertise about this nail polish.
  • I have not conducted any scientific test's to validate or disapprove if this nail polish is permitted for Muslim women to wear whilst they perform wudu. This article gives you what wudu is click here
  • I have tested this nail polish at home and have to my own conclusions based on very simple water test on regular paper & cotton wool pad's.

Now the reason this nail polish has got some of us into a bother and that is due to the reason that this nail polish supposedly porous enough to allow water/water vapour to penetrate the actual polish (hence 02m breathable) and touch your nails.
When we perform wudu *ablution (which is the Muslim cleaning ritual before we offer prayer's) we have to make sure that all parts of the body which is required for wudhu must be cleaned thoroughly with clean running water. This means that the complete all 100% of the nail must be washed with free flowing water.

Now this nail polish sounds fantastic right?
As a Muslim woman, I know there's only 1 week in a month *(when we are menstruating) I can wear nail polish without having to worry about performing wudu and removing and re-applying polish more then a few times a day!

Nail polish is permitted in our religion and there's no direct mention of it being haram (which is the word that's used for all things which are not allowed/permitted based on religious rulings) But we cannot pray whilst wearing this as it invalidates the cleaning ritual, which in turn invalidates our actual prayer.

I'm not going to talk about pricing on this product as I know it's not one of the cheapest but it's about the quality and what it actually represents to Muslimah's like myself that's under discussion here..

This nail polish is lovely! It's a nice lightweight polish which doesn't chip very easily, dried very fast and is very easy to remove and I do think that is due to the nature of the actual nail polish as it has been designed specifically to be healthy for your nail's.
This polish actually allows oxygen to penetrate the silicone so that your nail can breathe as its  made from similar acrylic and silicon resin which is found in some contact lenses.
It is free from the usual chemicals found in regular polishes which we know can damage the condition of your nail's.
This nail polish was designed by Mr Inglot for healthy nail and in no way was it manufactured or endorsed as a nail polish for use for Muslim women.

What is actually says on the Inglot website Polymer KS_02 allows moisture and oxygen to pass through to keep nails in the best condition.

Please ignore my very rough cuticles & hurried job :)

My honest opinion is that I'm not convinced that this nail polish is suitable for Muslim women to wear whilst they perform wudu and it would be a definite no no for me to pray with as it would completely invalidate my prayer.



The images below show the pics that I have taken using a regular no17 nail polish and the Inglot 02M Breathable nail polish.
Both polishes were tested on regular paper which the nail polish was applied to and left to dry naturally for 15 minutes.





I then placed a single drop of water on top of both samples using a pipette dropper and the results as shown below speak for themselves as neither of the nail polishes showed any sign's of water penetration..





Inglot 02M Nail Polish - No water penetrated the actual polish

Same result with the No17 Nail polish - No water


The same was done using cotton wool pads and straightaway you notice that both polishes actually disappear into the cotton wool fibre itself and when the polishes are applied to both pads an identical result is found with water penetrating and sinking into both cotton wool pads (and not just the 02m nail) but into both the nail polishes. Which to me means that neither nail polishes are actually breathable but the material (cotton wool pads) itself is sucking all fluids including water and nail polish into the pads due to the nature of the pads.. 








I know that the above testing seems very amateurish but it did convince me not to use this whilst I would be praying but Allah know's best and everyone should decide for themselves.
For those who are interested in knowing more there are other article's available which you may want to do further reading on to decide for yourselves which conclusion you are happy with..

Further Reading Is Breathable Nail Polish Sufficient for Wuḍū’? By Mustafa Umar

blog Post By My Amethyst - Is-there-such-thing-as-halal-nail-polish.html

Do let me know what you guys thought about this post? I love to hear all feedback and will respond to all..

Have you tried this nail polish yet or are you slightly intrigued by this now?

It's time for Salaam & Au revior,  until next time peaches!








Comments

  1. Lovely colours!
    Amazing how you tested the nail polishes on whether they're "halal" or not :) To me it's proof enough to skip these too. I don't want to risk my prayer to be invalid because of wearing a nail polish during wudu. I'll just stick to applying it once a month ;)

    Loved the review, thank you for sharing!

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you beautiful Sal! Yes the colours are amazing but like you say not worth the risk of invalidating our prayers! Once a month it is ;))

      Easmin xx

      Delete
  2. Fantastic post! Love how well you explained everything mashAllah. I also wouldn't wear any sort of polish during prayers just to be safe. As for your son, will inshAllah keep him in my duas. You haven't let anyone down, as you said, you are a mum first and foremost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hunni!I know, I wouldn't risk my prayers either.
      Alhumdulillah! your thoughts n prayers are very much appreciated. It means a lot..
      Lots of love xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular

Ex1 Invisiwear Liquid Foundation Reviewed!

Hi beautiful peeps! Hope everyone's well and learning how to swim!  It seems that we in the UK are getting more rain then the monsoon season in India and it doesn't look like it's going to be letting up anytime soon :( Now that we've made a bit of chit chat lets get on with the review of this EX1 Invisiwear Liquid Foundation which has been manufactured by Farah Naz. I purchased this foundation from Top Shop in central London for £10.50 you can purchase this  here The size is 30ml and Top Shop has the whole range available to test and sample. This is what it say's on the EX1 Website about the foundation.. EX1 INVISIWEAR LIQUID FOUNDATIONS  A lightweight and luminous liquid base, formulated with light diffusers which unify skin tone and cover imperfections effortlessley. Specially designed 'true colour' pigments work perfectly with your skins natural tones in a velvety smooth ultra-blended formula. Cleverly designed light diffusing pa

What's on your lips?

Do you always know what your wearing on your lips? or do you just know the name of the brand & shade? With Red lipsticks being very popular at the moment and me trying to find my perfect shade of red I found out a few more things then I had anticipated.... Well this may not be news to some people as it was to me but it really did shock me to find out that nearly 50% of all lipsticks manufactured in the US contains pig fat to give the shiny appearance!  I always thought to myself that in this day and age where there are so many synthetic & vegetarian alternative's cosmetic companies wouldn't still be using animal derived ingredients but I was very disappointed by what I found. The very brief summary below shows a list's all the animal, fish, insect derived ingredients which are used routinely in majority of lipsticks here in the UK. Names of animal derived ingredients. Wax (usually beeswax)  provides the solid shape of the lipstick. Glycerine (usuall

*Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen WOW Foundation versus *Urban Decay NakedSkin Liquid Make-Up swatches

Swatches From Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen WOW Foundation in Beige & Toasted Beige & Decay naked Skin Liquid Make-Up shade 6, 7 ,  Hello my lovelies! Today's post is all about my latest foundation swatches for shades suitable for mid-tone South Asian skin colouring (as in me) or Olive skin tones without too much yellow.   The samples I picked up are from Benefit and Urban Decay . I picked up 2 of each from the 2 different brands and was colour matched by the make-up consultant and was given 2 samples from each to try out at home, which is great as its really difficult to get a real match under the store lights.. The foundation swatches that I am reviewing today are 'Hello Flawless Oxygen WOW from Benefit (shades *Beige & *Toasted Beige)   Naked Skin Liquid Make-Up from Urban Decay (*shades no 6 & 7) which is the first F oundation by Urban Decay. They do have a Beauty Balm but I was looking for a natural finish foundation for everyday use duri