Skip to main content

Kohl Yourself Beautiful?



'Chanel classic Parisian tailoring combined with Eastern opulence.  heavily kohl rimmed eyes and highlights of glistening gold.' - Easy Living

Arabian Night's, Princess Jasmine, Cleopatra, Beyonce to Kim Kardashian all have favoured the kohl to add a touch of the exotic, mystery & seduction... 

Being from South Asian Heritage I have always worn kohl or as I knew it kajal/eyeliner
It is one piece of make-up you will always find on me and its probably what I would say is my desert island must have!

It's what make's my tired eye's look alive when I've had a bad night and no look is complete without a quick roll of it around the top of my eye's to make it pop! it does the job of a mascara when used around and under the upper lid too..

We all know now that most people will have some form of the kohl in their make-up bag. It comes in so many forms from powder, pencil to liquid but its not a new phenomenon! 


The modern day Kohl is a distant friend of the original form known Kohl/Kejal/Sirma/Surma or many other names depending on which part of the world you are from. 
From Ancient Egypt, North Africa, Middle East and South Asia the kohl was primarily used to ward off 'evil eye' from women, children, cleanse the eye and even worn by men to used to protect the eye from the glare of the desert sun. 



 











Guerlain Terracotta Loose Powder Khol £23.50 at House Of Fraser


Benefit BAD gal liner £14.00 WATERPROOF Benefit A Little Bit BAD gal lash mascara£16.50






Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama gel Liner £7.99





The use of kohl has very much shifted from superstitious/health to the cosmetics in our modern day and age and has been used for generation's in the Indian Subcontinent to beautify the bride's eye's on her wedding day and worn on a daily basis by women from the small village's of Africa & India to Maharani's (Indian Princess's) as replicated by Chanel on the Paris catwalk in 2011.
Cleopatra who was the original diva wore kohl in Ancient Egypt to enhance her beauty as it is also worn by the diva's of our generation from Beyonce to Kim Kardashian.
 
Deena Make-Up artist doing what she does best..
http://www.deenamakeup.com/ 

No South Asian bridal look would be complete without a dark ring of kohl around her eye's
With so much going on around her with all the heavily embellished bridal clothes and the jewellery its important to make the eye's to stand out so it doesn't get lost and in my opinion it completes the look perfectly!
Deena Make-Up Artist 
http://www.deenamakeup.com/ 
I'm in love with my kohl and am fascinated by the history and all the romance & mystery that's associated with it...
What do you guys think? is kohl an important part of your daily beauty ritual or is it something that you've never used before? Would love to know what you guys think?

Here's to kohl-ing ourselves beautiful!
Don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin :)


   
 http://www.deenamakeup.com/
Images:
Chanel: Easy Living. Bombay Express Limited edition Chanel
Beyonce: about.com
Kim Kardashian: indian beauty central
Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra: Chronically Vintage
 

Comments

  1. hello dear,your post is amazing!thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your nice comment!i am your new follower on gfc and blogloving!would you like to follow me back and maybe like my facebook page?
    http://shoppingtherapy153.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty for the follow! and for visiting my humble little blog. I really do appreciate it!:)
      Easmin xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular

Ex1 Invisiwear Liquid Foundation Reviewed!

Hi beautiful peeps! Hope everyone's well and learning how to swim!  It seems that we in the UK are getting more rain then the monsoon season in India and it doesn't look like it's going to be letting up anytime soon :( Now that we've made a bit of chit chat lets get on with the review of this EX1 Invisiwear Liquid Foundation which has been manufactured by Farah Naz. I purchased this foundation from Top Shop in central London for £10.50 you can purchase this  here The size is 30ml and Top Shop has the whole range available to test and sample. This is what it say's on the EX1 Website about the foundation.. EX1 INVISIWEAR LIQUID FOUNDATIONS  A lightweight and luminous liquid base, formulated with light diffusers which unify skin tone and cover imperfections effortlessley. Specially designed 'true colour' pigments work perfectly with your skins natural tones in a velvety smooth ultra-blended formula. Cleverly designed light diffusing pa

What's on your lips?

Do you always know what your wearing on your lips? or do you just know the name of the brand & shade? With Red lipsticks being very popular at the moment and me trying to find my perfect shade of red I found out a few more things then I had anticipated.... Well this may not be news to some people as it was to me but it really did shock me to find out that nearly 50% of all lipsticks manufactured in the US contains pig fat to give the shiny appearance!  I always thought to myself that in this day and age where there are so many synthetic & vegetarian alternative's cosmetic companies wouldn't still be using animal derived ingredients but I was very disappointed by what I found. The very brief summary below shows a list's all the animal, fish, insect derived ingredients which are used routinely in majority of lipsticks here in the UK. Names of animal derived ingredients. Wax (usually beeswax)  provides the solid shape of the lipstick. Glycerine (usuall

*Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen WOW Foundation versus *Urban Decay NakedSkin Liquid Make-Up swatches

Swatches From Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen WOW Foundation in Beige & Toasted Beige & Decay naked Skin Liquid Make-Up shade 6, 7 ,  Hello my lovelies! Today's post is all about my latest foundation swatches for shades suitable for mid-tone South Asian skin colouring (as in me) or Olive skin tones without too much yellow.   The samples I picked up are from Benefit and Urban Decay . I picked up 2 of each from the 2 different brands and was colour matched by the make-up consultant and was given 2 samples from each to try out at home, which is great as its really difficult to get a real match under the store lights.. The foundation swatches that I am reviewing today are 'Hello Flawless Oxygen WOW from Benefit (shades *Beige & *Toasted Beige)   Naked Skin Liquid Make-Up from Urban Decay (*shades no 6 & 7) which is the first F oundation by Urban Decay. They do have a Beauty Balm but I was looking for a natural finish foundation for everyday use duri